A fire of unknown origin swept through the Lesbos refugee camp early on Wednesday morning, with local reports suggesting that all 12,700 occupants are now without any form of shelter.
No fatalities were reported. A young child died in a blaze at the camp in March.
Firefighters called to the scene said they faced resistance from some of its residents as they made their way into the camp to fight the flames, suggesting that the fire was lit deliberately. Later in the day they said the fire had been set in three places.
The camp has a nominal capacity of 3,000. It was totally destroyed in the blaze.