At a time when agreements between the European Union and the UK are thin on the ground, there is good news on pet travel.

The EU has decided that UK pets can travel with an Animal Health Certificate, which should be obtained from the vet at least 10 days before travel. it’s valid for four months.

This AHC arrangement is not dependent on the UK and the EU agreeing a trade deal.

The AHC confirms that the pet is vaccinated against rabies and is microchipped. A new certificate is needed every time the pet travels. The new arrangements – listing the UK as ‘Part-two listed’ – apply in both directions. The UK had asked for Part-one listing.

Pet passports issued by an EU member state will remain valid for travel to and from the UK.